Creating A Timely Plan Of Action To Help You Achieve Your Legal Goals

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Bankruptcy
  4.  » Credit Repair

Helping Clients Address Credit Problems


When your credit report contains erroneous, incomplete, or outdated information, it can have a serious effect on your ability to qualify for work, loans, credit cards and insurance. By law, you are entitled to keep track of your credit report, and request that any inaccurate information be removed.

If creditors refuse to remove inaccurate information from your credit report when the necessary proof is provided, you may be able to file a lawsuit to recover compensation for any resulting losses. Our attorneys have years of experience handling credit report disputes, clearing credit report errors and successfully recovering compensation for our clients.

If you need assistance disputing inaccurate or obsolete information in your credit report, contact an attorney in our office today.

Fair Credit Reporting Act

According to the Federal Trade Commission, the Fair Credit Reporting Act promotes the accuracy, fairness and privacy of information in the files of consumer reporting agencies.

You may also be provided additional protection under state laws, so it’s important to contact an attorney if you suspect your rights have been violated.

Violations Of The Fair Credit Reporting Act

There are three primary credit reporting agencies (CRA) that are responsible for keeping track of consumer credit ratings in the United States: TransUnion, Experian and Equifax. When these agencies make mistakes, it can cause serious problems for consumers. The Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) offers consumers protection from credit reporting agencies, banks and lenders who report inaccurate credit information, fail to fix credit report credit errors or use a credit report for impermissible purposes.

Some examples of these CRA violations include:

  • Failing to report a discharged debt in bankruptcy
  • Reporting information older than seven years
  • Reporting old debts as new
  • Reporting a debt that was settled
  • Applying late fees to debts paid on time
  • Supplying credit information despite reported identity theft
  • Mixing credit information of multiple parties
  • Failing to correct any inaccurate information from the debtor’s file
  • Banks, credit card companies and other entities that report information to a CRA can violate the FCRA by:
    • Notifying all CRAs a debtor has disputed a debt
    • Failing to conduct an investigation of the disputed debt within 30 days
    • Failing to provide the debtor with necessary information to complete the dispute process
    • Failing to report the results of the investigation to the debtor
    • Submitting information to a CRA that is known to be incorrect

It is a good idea to regularly review your credit report to see if any inaccuracies or problems exist. If creditors refuse to remove inaccurate information from your credit report when the necessary evidence is provided, you should contact an attorney because you may be able to file a lawsuit to recover compensation.

Disputing Credit Errors

Under the FCRA, both CRAs and the entity reporting information to CRAs are required to correct inaccurate or incomplete information in your report. If you believe your credit report contains errors, you may dispute the incorrect information.

Request a copy of your credit report: Each year, you are eligible to receive one copy of your credit report at no cost to you. Additionally, you are permitted to request a copy if a company has taken adverse action against you. You can order a report from all three companies if you choose. You can order your report by completing the annual credit report form from,  visiting the FTC website. You may be asked for personal information, including your name, date of birth and Social Security number, as well as information only you would know, such as a monthly payment for a utility.

Dispute letter: Notify both the CRA, in writing, which information you believe is incorrect. Also, include a clear identification of each item disputed; why you are disputing the information; copies of documents supporting your dispute; and a request for the removal of the information. Mail the letter and supporting documentation by certified mail with “return receipt required” to document when your letter has been received.

Dispute investigation: CRAs must investigate disputes, unless considered frivolous, within 30 days of receipt. Information gathered must be forwarded to the reporting entity, which must then investigate, review, and report the results back to the CRA. If the dispute is resolved in your favor, all of the three major CRAs must be notified to update your report with the correct information. If the investigation does not resolve your dispute, you can ask for a statement of the dispute to be included in your file. Any disputed information cannot be put back in your file without verification of its accuracy from the information provider.

Post investigation: The CRA must notify you of the results of the report, and provide a copy of your credit report if changes were made. Upon your request, the CRA must send notification of any corrections to anyone who received a copy of your credit report in the six previous months. For employment purposes, you may have a corrected version of your report sent to anyone who received a copy during the past two years.

Schedule Your Free Consultation With An Experienced Lawyer

If you suspect your creditor, credit bureau or information provider has violated your rights under the Fair Credit Reporting Act, you may be able to file a lawsuit to recover compensation for damages. To learn more about your legal options, contact us by email or call 850-502-2165. From our offices in Santa Rosa Beach, we help clients throughout the Florida Panhandle with these complicated issues.