Daniel W. Uhlfelder P.A. | Attorneys At Law


Dedicated To Your Legal Needs

Reach for help if you cannot afford your child support payments

On Behalf of | Aug 4, 2021 | Family Law

According to recent statistics, nearly 11 million child support cases are in arrears across the nation. In most cases, noncustodial parents want to make good on their support obligations, but they lack jobs and financial resources.

The worst thing parents in Santa Rosa Beach, Florida, can do when struggling with child support is to stop making payments. Not only does this affect your children’s well-being, but it can also increase your financial trouble. All states have a range of enforcement measures to collect past-due payments, including intercepting tax refunds and taking funds from the bank accounts of non-paying parents.

What should you do if you have trouble paying support?

Whether you have lost your job or suffered an injury or illness affecting your ability to work, do not take matters into your own hands. Seek help immediately if you struggle with your payments.

File a petition to have a family law court evaluate and modify your current child support order. Taking this step may solve most of your problems because it will likely reduce the amount you must pay. A legal advocate can protect your rights during this process.

If your modification request is approved, you will gain some breathing room to explore other alternatives like starting a new career or learning a trade. When you get back on your feet, you can continue catching up on your support obligations and taking care of your kids.

Be aware that you are still obligated to pay any back child support you owe to your kids. Even so, most noncustodial parents benefit from child support modifications because it gives them a second chance to provide the financial support their kids need and deserve.

Continue educating yourself about Florida child support regulations to ensure you remain in compliance with state laws. If you’re in trouble with your child support payments, don’t hesitate to seek legal assistance.